Below is their statement.
BEING THE TEXT OF THE PRESS STATEMENT BY THE NORTH- CENTRAL APC STAKEHOLDERS FORUM RELEASED ON THE 1st OF JULY, 2021
Members of the Press, Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen,
We, members of the North-Central Critical Stakeholders Forum of the All Progressives Congress (ACP) have watched with keen interest the unfolding development in our dear Party and wish to present our position to the generality of our Party members in particular and the nation in general:
1. We commend the APC Caretaker and Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC) for a job well done so far. We particularly note the tremendous success of our party registration and the revalidation exercise which culminated in the registration of about 40 million strong APC members nationwide. This is an unprecedented development in the nation’s political history and as a Group; we wish to commend the leadership of the Party for this feat.
2. The influx of opposition Governors and chieftains into our party has no doubt bolstered our base and the Caretaker Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC) deserves a pat on the back for this. but we must be careful not to lose the ideological focus of our party in the wake of defections. Defectors must be willing and made to abide by the progressive ideology of the Party rooted in good governance and accountability which our party is renowned for.
3. We note the time-table released for congresses from the Ward to State level. Though belated, it is a step in the right direction. We urge the caretaker committee to resist the temptation to shift dates of the congresses under any guise. Though the extension of the tenure of the caretaker committee has become imperative, we make bold to say it can only be legitimate by a resolution of the National Executive Committee (NEC). Therefore, we call for an immediate convening of a NEC meeting to ratify the extension of the caretaker committee’s tenure and approve timelines for congresses and the National Convention.
4. It is also imperative for this to be done so that our party does not face any legal conundrum over the conduct of the congresses vis-a-vis the powers of the Caretaker Committee to superintend over it especially after their extended tenure which ought to expire by 30th June, 2021.
5. We also urge the caretaker committee to summon a meeting of the National Caucus, as a prelude to the NEC meeting in line with Article 12.5 of the APC constitution as amended. It has been the tradition of the APC to hold an expanded National Caucus meeting before NEC meeting. This is more crucial at this time as we need all hands-on deck to forge a common ground as we race towards the National Convention.
6. Considering the contribution of the North-Central to the fortunes of the APC, we strongly
deem it right for the position of the National Chairman to be exclusively zoned to our region, The north central is a bridging region between the north and the South. More so, such will be a signal of all-Inclusive governance in the party.
7. After wide consultations, we have zeroed in on Distinguished Senator Umaru Tanko
Al-Makura, Senator representing Nasarawa-South in the National Assembly and two-term Governor of Nasarawa State and a candidate with impeccable administrative credentials and astute political pedigree, and a unifier as our consensus candidate.
8. We believe that Sen. Tanko Al-Makura possess the requisite qualities, temperament and experience needed to lead the APC, not only to victory in 2023 but to consolidate on the achievements of the Caretaker Committee and deepen the progressive ideology of the party.
9. We urge party stakeholders in other regions of the federation to throw their weight behind Sen. Al-Makura and let’s have a repositioned APC that will be formidable enough to sustain and build on the legacy of President Muhammadu Buhari.
PRINCE SANI OGU SALISU
YOUTH AND SPORTS DEVELOPMENT
FOR NORTH CENTRAL APC STAKEHOLDERS